- The initiators of Copenhagen Street Food are the entrepreneurs Jesper Møller (Toldboden and Restaurant Julian at National Museum of Denmark) and Dan Husted (Paté Paté and Biebedum)
- Copenhagen Street Food is run by ‘The Association Copenhagen Street Food – for conservation of The Original Red Danish Dairy Breed’ and Thorshøjgaard.
- 39 food stalls, food trucks, containers and bars.
- 200 people work on the Paper Island on daily basis.
- Parking space for 180 vehicles.
- The Paper Island is located near Nyhavn and Christianshavn which are connected by the footbridge Inderhavnsbroen.
- There is sun on the Paper Island from 11 am to sunset.
- View to the Opera house, the Royal Playhouse and the harbour of Copenhagen.
- Neighbours: Designer Henrik Vibskov, COBE, Carlberg/Christensen, Papirgalleriet, Galleri + design Hilfiger and Calvin Klein and the exhibition hall for modern art installations Copenhagen Contemporary
- COBE is head for the new masterplan for the Paper Island.
Copenhagen Street Food
The first colorful and cheap street food market in Copenhagen opened May 2, 2014 and exists on The Paper Island till 2018
The new concept in warehouse 7 and 8 – Copenhagen Street Food – is a colorful and cheap street food market for the people located on The Paper Island with a view to the Opera and Royal Playhouse. The market is for everybody and is therefore run by The Association – for the conservation of The Original Red Danish Dairy Breed and Thorshøjgaard.
Experience Economy and international attention
Copenhagen Street Food has already received great attention and was nominated for Denmark’s experience economy award “The Lily Prize” in September 2014. Furthermore Copenhagen Street Food was mentioned in the international magazine Monocle when Copenhagen was rewarded as the world’s best city by the magazine in July-August edition 2014.
Awards & Nominations
The initiator of Copenhagen Street Food, Jesper Møller, was honoured by the Danish Gastronomical Academy in 2016 for starting up the market. Furthermore, Copenhagen Street Food has received: TripAdvisor’s Certificate of Excellence 2016, Danish Meetings & Events Award 2016 for “Best Venue” and “Best Integrated Support”. Copenhagen Street Food has been nominated for several awards: Kursuslex Møde & Event Award (2016), Politiken’s iByen-Prisen (2015), AOK’s Byens Bedste 2015, Denmark’s experience economy award “The Lily Award” (2014).
Bring your food truck
Our ambition is to be a platform for start-ups and fill the warehouses with all kinds of trailers and food trucks to promote and support the global street food kitchen. Thus, we have created a place in Copenhagen where the street food chef has the freedom to design the food truck and the food her/himself – no matter what kind it is – a burrito truck, a pasta-sleigh or a wagon with hot dogs – the only limit is your imagination!
Food from the people for the people
The purpose of Copenhagen Street Food is to promote and support the global street food kitchen for the people. You can get a meal for DKK-50-100. Furthermore, the entrance is free and the street food cook can run his business for a small amount of money.
Spice it up with music, art and culture
The folk culture in Copenhagen needs more fire. Copenhagen Street Food is not only for the street food chefs. Musicians, artists and dedicated people take part in creating unique and creative experiences – which rather make you smile than empty your pockets – so keep an eye on our Event page.
Why Copenhagen Street Food?
Copenhagen needs a food market with room for individual diversity combined with engagement in the community. At Copenhagen Street Food all kinds of street food chefs can develop their creativity and business and as guest you can enjoy all of us since you can stay there the whole day without being ripped off.
The Association – for conservation of The Orginal Red Danish Dairy Breed and Thorshøjgaard
Copenhagen Street Food is operated by “The Association Copenhagen Street Food – for conservation of Thorshøjgaard and the Original Red Danish Dairy Breed”. Profits from the association will be used for the conservation of Niels Stokholm’s biodynamic farming Thorshøjgaard and Original Red Danish Dairy Breed. Copenhagen Street Food has given DKK 1,3 million (12.10.16) to the foundation Thorshøjgaard Fonden.
As a guest you can support Thorshøjgaard by buying a water at Copenhagen Street Food. The proceeds from the sale are donated to the farm.
The association is formed and organized by the members, who focus on sustainability and work hard to ensure that Copenhagen Street Food continuously is a unique and authentic platform for people who create new interesting businesses and experiences for the public.
Genuine, honest and aesthetic
Based on the values ”genuine, honest and aesthetic” the members of Copenhagen Street Food contribute to that Copenhagen as an international city also embraces the unpolished and easy-going street food market. There must be room for diversity as it contributes to new ideas whether they are new concepts, design or artistic initiatives
– everything is possible at Copenhagen Street Food’s market.